Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sharing sms from the grassroot.

We have printed 40,000 copies of my Manifesto for 2008 Presidential Election and more than half of that have already reached the households of Male' and some of the atolls. The number of sms I receive daily has tripled but I make it a point to answer them personally. I thought I will share some of these sms with you guys. I will not disclose the phone numbers.

Q. How are you going to fund your massive projects?

A. Through tax, loan and grant aids. I will impose tax on profit, on income and on goods and services. Tax maybe controversial but a country cannot progress without taxation.

Q. You have proposed 4 new cities under your Population and Development Consolidation Plan. What islands are you going to choose to build the new cities? There is a very beautiful island just next to where I live, can you choose this island please?

A. I am going to copy the system through which cities are selected for Olympic Games. A group of technocrats and experts will visit, study and discuss the pros and cons of the islands and through a secret ballot which will be telecasted live on television, will decide the islands. The island communities, associations and clubs will have the opportunity to lobby. Once the islands are selected it will be final and NO change.



I will keep posting some selected sms in the future.
Umar Naseer
President, IDP

No comments: